July 15, 2014

Her Dark Places by Kelly Killarney

Her Dark Places by Kelly Killarney
Release Date: June 3, 2014
Publisher: Self-Published
Pages: 175
Series: The Sutton Files
#1
Review Source: eBook from author for review

Synopsis: (from Goodreads)
‘Veronica Mars’ meets ‘Felicity’ in this sexy, snarky, New Adult Romantic Suspense novel.

Jasmine “Jazz” Holloway gets more than she bargained for when she heads to Sutton College for her freshman year. A long-distance relationship with her high-school boyfriend is tough to maintain. Especially when Brennan, the cute boy down the hall, keeps flirting. And after someone starts threatening her roommate, Jazz enlists the help of Sean, a smokin’ hot upperclassman who runs a P.I. agency out of a darkened corner of the library.

Jazz has to fight her attraction to both guys as she works to uncover the stalker. But as the stakes rise and tension heightens, the hardest part for Jazz will be keeping her
own secret...what she’s really doing at Sutton College. And that’s something no one can know.
My Thoughts:
Her Dark Places was pitched to me as Veronica Mars meets Felicity, which is basically my dream book. I have to say that it really lived up to this for the most part, so A+ to the author for making accurate comparisons. The book features a Veronica Mars-esque snarky heroine who champions her friends and can lash out and act rashly when hurt. The Felicity aspect comes in with Jazz starting her first year at college, settling in and forming new relationships, with Audrey, her roommate, and with Sean and Brennan, two very opposite guys.

Since this is a book set at college I wouldn’t have minded some more scenes about actual class work, but this doesn’t really detract from the book in any way. I enjoyed Her Dark Places quite a bit. It’s a quick read with a satisfying ending. There’s an overarching mystery that will continue with the series, and an episodic mystery that's completed within this book. Her Dark Places is exactly the type of series book that I enjoy. There’s some conclusion, but also enough questions and unresolved issues to keep you coming back.

I recommend Her Dark Places to fans of New Adult, especially to those looking for contemporary New Adult stories that are a bit different from the norm. This book puts the mystery at the forefront, which is a nice change of pace for the category. If you're looking for romance, though, you won't be disappointed. There's not what I would call a love triangle at all, but there are two guys who Jazz interacts with a lot, both of whom I really enjoyed reading about. Overall: a good story + interesting characters = a winning read.

The Cover:
I like it, though I must say when I first saw it I thought "paranormal" because of the blur and the wispy hair.

Rating:
[4/5]

Purchase Links:
Amazon.ca | Amazon.com | Barnes & Noble

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment; I appreciate each one!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...