February 3, 2011

Inside Out by Maria V. Snyder

Release Date: April 1, 2010
Publisher: HarlequinTeen
Pages: 320
Review Source: Library


Synopsis: (from Goodreads)
Keep Your Head Down.

Don't Get Noticed.

Or Else.

I'm Trella. I'm a scrub. A nobody. One of thousands who work the lower levels, keeping Inside clean for the Uppers. I've got one friend, do my job and try to avoid the Pop Cops. So what if I occasionally use the pipes to sneak around the Upper levels? The only neck at risk is my own…until I accidentally start a rebellion and become the go-to girl to lead a revolution.

My Thoughts:
'Inside Out' is a science fiction novel which is built on an interesting premise, though it definitely wasn't an original one. In some ways the idea behind it reminded me of The Maze Runner, but the action was not as exciting or dire feeling. That being said, this was definitely a solid effort from Maria V. Snyder. This is an easy book to get through, which can definitely be a good thing. There are heroes and villains, and an accidental and unlikely leader.

I guess this book just failed to reach me on any emotional level. I liked it, but it didn't stay with me at all. Big moments felt hurried over, and the 'love story' was likewise rushed. Trella was the redeeming factor of the book for me in some ways, because she did feel like an honest character, and that was one thing that did resonate.

I hate giving a 'meh' review, because there's definitely nothing fundamentally wrong with this book. I would definitely suggest picking this up if you're a fan of Maria V. Snyder's previous works or are looking for a sci-fi romp that's easy to get through. It's a perfectly good book, it just didn't really excite or reach me in any new or deep way.

Rating:


Find Inside Out by Maria V. Snyder on Goodreads, Book Depository, & Amazon.ca

4 comments:

  1. I've read books just like this, they were good, interesting, but ultimately when I closed the back cover I didn't give them a second thought. I have a ton of books on my TBR, so I think I'll pass on this one for now. Thanks for your honest thoughts Ashley!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love sci-fi, and I've seen a lot of good reviews for this one, but I appreciate your honest take on it. The cover doesn't appeal to me at all, but I might read this..eventually haha great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Melissa, I agree, I think the cover is terrible. Until I read the book I thought she was supposed to be bald!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very fair, honest review Ashley...I sometimes feel funny about giving an eh rating to a book that I can't really say was bad in a particular sense, but if it doesn't work, it doesn't work :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment; I appreciate each one!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...