February 7, 2011

Relatively Famous by Jessica Park

Release Date: June 24, 2010
Publisher: Self-Published
Pages: 284
Review Source: eBook from author for honest review


Synopsis: (from KoboBooks)
Meet Dani McKinley: A typical teen whose world is rocked when she finds out that her father is a famous Hollywood action star. Now meet Mark Ocean: A self-serving actor with a floundering career who sees that a daughter is just what he needs to reinvent his image. When the two spend the summer together they must not only wrangle their own love lives but try to become father and daughter.


My Thoughts:
I thought this was a really cute book, almost like a novel version of a chick flick, and I mean that in a good way. It involves LA, fame, and riches, but it has a lot of heart. Is some of that heart served with extra cheese? Yes, at times, but I was looking for a light, enjoyable read when I read this, and that’s exactly what I got.

There are a few moments that felt a bit stiff, but nothing absolutely horrible. Things between Dani and Nathan should have progressed more slowly and been flushed out a bit more, because even though they had some cute moments it seemed like they went from talking a couple of times to kissing. Likewise, Dani was a pretty cool chick throughout the book, so her acting like a brat at the end seemed a bit out of character, but I guess it was necessary plot-wise.

Everything gets wrapped up at the end of this one, which is nice. The ending seemed abrupt, in that I just didn’t expect the last scene to be the last scene. Generally, though, this was a really enjoyable and cute book, which is why I’m giving it such a good rating. It celebrates family and friends, features lots of good moments, and has tons of mentions of parties and fun in the sun. And really, who can resist that?

Rating:


Find Relatively Famous by Jessica Park on Goodreads, or visit Jessica's site to see all the buying options.

6 comments:

  1. I hate hate hate abrupt endings, but I can forgive it if the story is nice and solid. Fabulous review, Ashley...I'm adding this to my list! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes, I'm a big fan of cheese. Sometimes it's just what you need in a book:) This one does sound really cute despite the abrupt ending and change in behavior on Dani's part. Thanks for sharing Ashley!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never heard of this one. I do agree, rushed endings are the pits. Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. PS Thanks for passing by my blog again :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds like the perfect vacation or quick summer read...I think it's great that you are giving some notice to a self-published book :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks good: nice, light summer story. Brillaint review!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment; I appreciate each one!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...