March 25, 2011

Matched by Ally Condie

Release Date: November 30, 2010
Publisher: Dutton Juvenile
Pages: 366
Review Source: Library


Synopsis: (from Goodreads)
Cassia has always trusted the Society to make the right choices for her: what to read, what to watch, what to believe. So when Xander's face appears on-screen at her Matching ceremony, Cassia knows with complete certainty that he is her ideal mate . . . until she sees Ky Markham's face flash for an instant before the screen fades to black.

The Society tells her it's a glitch, a rare malfunction, and that she should focus on the happy life she's destined to lead with Xander. But Cassia can't stop thinking about Ky, and as they slowly fall in love, Cassia begins to doubt the Society's infallibility and is faced with an impossible choice: between Xander and Ky, between the only life she's known and a path that no one else has dared to follow.

My Thoughts:
I tried so hard not to go into this one with high expectations, but with it being one of the most hyped books of last year, it was difficult to do. I’m not sure if it was the hype, or it just wasn’t necessarily the book for me, but I didn’t totally fall in love with 'Matched'. Part of this may also have to do with the inevitable comparisons with Lauren Oliver’s ‘Delirium.’ The two books deal with similar issues, and I have to say I did find myself comparing them. Unfortunately for ‘Matched’, ‘Delirium’ wins out big time. I just didn’t get the same heartwrenching feel from ‘Matched’ as I did with ‘Delirium’.

This is not to say that I didn’t enjoy ‘Matched’ at all, because I did. The society that Ally Condie has created is incredibly interesting, and I liked all the details that she came up with to frame this restrictive world. I also loved Cassia’s spirit. She was so brave, despite the world that she grew up in, and I just wanted to whisk her out of the story and put her somewhere where she had the ability to make all the choices she wished she could make.

Overall, I did like ‘Matched’, probably enough to pick up the 2nd book in the trilogy. It’s worth checking out if you’re a fan of YA dystopian stories, but it was definitely not my favourite of the genre. Mainly I just found the story to be incredibly slow paced, and in a very vibrant and interesting world where I was itching for things to happen, I thought the slowness was to the detriment of the story.

Rating:


Find Matched by Ally Condie on Goodreads, Book Depository, & Amazon.ca

8 comments:

  1. Nice review Ashley! I adored this one but I agree with you the pace is very slow. Cassia was a highlight for me though, I just adored her. Maybe book 2 will be a little more action packed and will appeal more to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean. I was so excited to read this one but it was nothing like I expected. It lacked on action but was big on the romance. I'm still excited for Crossed though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's hard when you read a book that has had so much hype...you never know if your reaction would have been different had there not been such high expectations...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I felt the same way. I read Matched, Delirium and Wither all at the same time...it was hard not to compare them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've heard a lot of mixed feelings about this one. It very well could be due to the hype the book received and the high expectations everyone had. I'm still interested in reading Matched and seeing if it works for me. Great review though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I liked the world building and I can understand where you're coming from. Thanks for the review.

    Brandi from Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  7. thanks for the review i read this not too long ago and thought ky was such a beautiful character!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the review, I've been trying to get into this book for about a week and I can't get into it! I just don't think it was the book for me! I'm definitely going to have to check out Delirium!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment; I appreciate each one!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...