May 16, 2013

The Book of Broken Hearts by Sarah Ockler

The Book of Broken Hearts by Sarah Ockler
Release Date: May 21, 2013
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Pages: 352
Series: n/a
Review Source: Edelweiss

Synopsis: (from Goodreads)
When all signs point to heartbreak, can love still be a rule of the road? A poignant and romantic novel from the author of Bittersweet and Twenty Boy Summer.

Jude has learned a lot from her older sisters, but the most important thing is this: The Vargas brothers are notorious heartbreakers. She’s seen the tears and disasters that dating a Vargas boy can cause, and she swore an oath—with candles and a contract and everything—to never have anything to do with one.

Now Jude is the only sister still living at home, and she’s spending the summer helping her ailing father restore his vintage motorcycle—which means hiring a mechanic to help out. Is it Jude’s fault he happens to be cute? And surprisingly sweet? And a Vargas?

Jude tells herself it’s strictly bike business with Emilio. Her sisters will never find out, and Jude can spot those flirty little Vargas tricks a mile away—no way would she fall for them. But Jude’s defenses are crumbling, and if history is destined to repeat itself, she’s speeding toward some serious heartbreak…unless her sisters were wrong?

Jude may have taken an oath, but she’s beginning to think that when it comes to love, some promises might be worth breaking.
My Thoughts:
‘The Book of Broken Hearts’ is a very touching story about family, and especially about the father/daughter bond. The book features Jude, who is dealing with her Dad having early onset Alzheimer's. I can’t even imagine how difficult that situation must be, and Jude, of course, is having a tough time with it. She thinks that she can fix her Dad by fixing up his old motorcycle, an object of great importance to him.

Emilio comes along to help fix the motorcycle, and he is all kinds of hot. He’s a Vargas, which Jude has been warned about (see: book description), but he's so different from what she expects. I loved (!!) Emilio, and how he was such a good guy; he was so patient, both with Jude and her Dad. Most guys would be scared off by an adult with episodes like Jude’s dad has, but he really cared about the family and didn’t pity them at all, like most people would.

I would also be remiss not to mention another favourite character of mine, Pancake the dog. I love when authors can write such cute moments with animal characters who feel like real friends.

This is a great book about so many important things. It’s about time and memories, about learning how to take life one day at a time and to embrace today because you can't know what the future will hold. It’s also about standing up for yourself and knowing what's right. Sarah Ockler does a fabulous job of bringing up these issues naturally in the context of the story, without making them seem like platitudes. ‘The Book of Broken Hearts’ is a touching family story that has a very sweet romance aspect as well. Highly recommended for YA contemporary fans.

The Cover:
It's cute, I think it might look better in person.

Rating:
[4/5]

Find The Book of Broken Hearts by Sarah Ockler on Goodreads, Book Depository, & Amazon.

11 comments:

  1. Oh yay, we love books with good animal sidekicks! And we enjoyed TWENTY BOY SUMMER by Ockler too, so this might be perfect for us. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that the family is so integral to this story, though it's terribly sad about the dad. I can't even imagine how I would do if my dad had that (I'm a serious Daddy's Girl). I think this one is on my Kindle...I need more reading time!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww... it is a tough thing to imagine! If anything were to happen to my Mom I would be totally inconsolable.

      Delete
  3. I love it when an animal, especially a dog, makes a good book even better, and Pancake sounds simply adorable.
    I was already determined to meet this patient Emilio, but your review just confirmed what I already new, that I need to pre-order this one right now. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how much I'm hearing that this deals more with family. So refreshing. I'm looking forward to reading it very soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like her books are always a great combo of every contemp element (family, friends, romance) -- it makes them seem so much more real to me.

      Delete
  5. *sigh* Sounds so so good, but I don't really mesh well with Ockler's style, I never end up enjoying her books though she deals with subjects I'm drawn to.

    Pancake is making me want to read this book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww that's too bad! I adored Twenty Boy Summer and Bittersweet. But they can't be for everyone I guess. =)

      Delete
  6. I've enjoyed all of Ockler's books and am sure that will be the case with this one too. I'm excited that it's coming out tomorrow :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I love the sound of this one. I love the idea of Pancake, hard family moments, and a cute boy. I'll look out for it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment; I appreciate each one!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...