December 20, 2012

The Darkest Minds by Alexandra Bracken

Release Date: December 18, 2012
Publisher: Disney-Hyperion
Pages: 496
Series: Darkest Minds
#1
Review Source: Netgalley


Synopsis: (from Goodreads)
When Ruby woke up on her tenth birthday, something about her had changed. Something alarming enough to make her parents lock her in the garage and call the police. Something that gets her sent to Thurmond, a brutal government "rehabilitation camp." She might have survived the mysterious disease that's killed most of America's children, but she and the others have emerged with something far worse: frightening abilities they cannot control.

Now sixteen, Ruby is one of the dangerous ones.

When the truth comes out, Ruby barely escapes Thurmond with her life. Now she's on the run, desperate to find the one safe haven left for kids like her--East River. She joins a group of kids who escaped their own camp. Liam, their brave leader, is falling hard for Ruby. But no matter how much she aches for him, Ruby can't risk getting close. Not after what happened to her parents.

When they arrive at East River, nothing is as it seems, least of all its mysterious leader. But there are other forces at work, people who will stop at nothing to use Ruby in their fight against the government. Ruby will be faced with a terrible choice, one that may mean giving up her only chance at a life worth living.

My Thoughts:
I LOVED THIS BOOK! Guys, I just totally adored it. It’s a long book (500ish pages), but it kept me totally glued to my seat. I was obsessed with this future version of America, with the concept, and especially with the characters themselves. Seriously, do yourself a favour and order this book now because you will definitely want to read it.

There are tons of apocalyptic and dystopian books out there, but 'The Darkest Minds' separates itself from this pack with its sci-fi super powers element. While “super powers” via science experiments is becoming a bit more popular trope in YA, it’s still unique enough to keep my attention every time. In this case I loved how Alexandra Bracken assigned colours to each type of power, so especially at the beginning of the book it’s a bit of a mystery which colour is what type of ability.

The plot itself is exciting and action-packed. The group is on the run from others who would do them harm, and they’re on a quest to find help. While this was a lot of fun, what really made the book, for me at least, was the characters. I loved them individually, I loved their relationships, and the progression of them working together and getting to know one another. I truly cared about the characters, which made me excited to keep reading.

‘The Darkest Minds’ is a thrilling and emotional read, with an ending that will definitely leave you itching for book 2, and will quite possibly break your heart. This book was definitely one of my favourites for the year.

The Cover:
Really like it, especially the ominous barbed wire.

Rating:
[5/5]

Find The Darkest Minds by Alexandra Bracken on Goodreads, Book Depository, & Amazon.

8 comments:

  1. YES! I really enjoyed this one, too! But that ending--gah!!! NOOOOOO!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wasn't it crazy but HORRIBLE?! Ackkkkk, dying for book 2.

      Delete
  2. Hm, sounds like it takes some of the themes/concepts from DIVERGENT and spins them in a new way... We could get on board with that! Especially since we've heard good things about this author's first book, BRIGHTLY WOVEN.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brightly Woven was pretty good -- very interesting. Darkest Minds is quite different, but even better, I think.

      Delete
  3. I got this at BEA and still haven't read it. *headdesk*

    OK. I will read it next. I mean, if it's as good as you're saying... :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ack, Hannah!!! You are so bad!! =b

      Glad you're going to move it up your TBR pile.

      Delete
  4. You're really excited about the book and it sounds good!!
    I think they even sell this series in my country, I'll look it up

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome, I hope you'll check it out! =D

      Haha yes, I am definitely excited about this one... it's one that's really stuck out to me since I read it.

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment; I appreciate each one!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...