October 27, 2012

The Lies That Bind by Lisa & Laura Roecker

Release Date: November 1, 2012
Publisher: Sourcebooks Fire
Pages: 320
Series: Liar Society
#2
Review Source: Netgalley


Synopsis: (from Goodreads)
Just when Kate Lowry thought she had life at elite private school Pemberly Brown figured out, she cracks open a fortune cookie to find a message from her best friend Grace--who's supposed to be dead.

Another Sister Gone

A classmate has gone missing, and Kate soon realizes that the disappearance is tied to the secret societies that rule her private school. Her best friend died for their secrets, and there's no way she'll let them get away with it twice. It's up to quirky outsider Kate to get some answers, but in a school where every answer leads to more questions and nothing's as it seems, who can she trust?

My Thoughts:
I absolutely adored The Liar Society; I mean, it was Veronica Mars in YA book form: how could I resist? I definitely enjoyed this sequel as well. Bring in something secret society related and you have me hooked. This book was twisty and mysterious, which made for a fabulous reading experience. While I always had a good idea of who the culprit was, I was never entirely sure. I loved that there was this element of doubt and that the mystery was hard to completely figure out.

Kate is such a frustrating character in this installment, which was disappointing in some ways. She’s making decisions which constantly put herself in danger, and yet you almost can’t help but empathize with her. She’s been through so much, and her heart is in the right place, which keeps her from becoming completely unlikeable. Too often I think we expect a perfect heroine, when in real life none of us are perfect. Despite being frustrated with Kate and her lack of appreciation for her “sidekicks” Liam and Seth, I ended up being glad that Kate was a bit prickly. It made sense for her to be acting out after everything she’d been through.

Conclusion? I really loved the first book, and this one is almost as good. It features a fun mystery plot line where you’re never sure exactly what’s coming next.

The Cover:
Not so much. I definitely wouldn't have picked up this series at all if it hadn't been for awesome blogger reviews.

Rating:
[4/5]

Find The Lies That Bind by Lisa & Laura Roecker on Goodreads, Book Depository, & Amazon.

1 comment:

  1. I have a copy of The Liar Society and now that the sequel's out I better get reading. YA mysteries are such a breath of fresh air and it sounds like this one's really fun too.
    I like that the heroine is imperfect and that the plot has so many surprises. Looking forward to checking out this series soon!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment; I appreciate each one!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...