October 14, 2011

There You'll Find Me by Jenny B. Jones

Release Date: October 4, 2011
Publisher: Thomas Nelson
Pages: 320
Series: n/a
Review Source: Netgalley


Synopsis: (from Goodreads)
In a small cottage house in rural Ireland, Finley discovers she can no longer outrun the past.

When Finley travels to Ireland as a foreign exchange student, she hopes to create a new identity and get some answers from the God who took her brother away and seems to have left her high and dry.

But from the moment she boards the plane and sits by Beckett Rush, teen star of the hottest vampire flicks, nothing goes according to Finley's plan.

When she gets too close to Beckett, a classmate goes on a mission to make sure Finley packs her bags, departs Ireland-and leaves Beckett alone.

Finley feels the pressure all around. As things start to fall apart, she begins to rely on a not-so-healthy method of taking control of her life.

Finley tries to balance it all-disasters on the set of Beckett's new movie, the demands of school, and her growing romance with one actor who is not what he seems. Yet Finley is also not who she portrays to Beckett and her friends.

For the first time in her life, Finley must get honest with herself to get right with God.

My Thoughts:
If I had to sum up this book I would probably say that it’s about loss, crisis of faith, and journeying. But then add in Ireland and a teen vampire (well... he only plays one in the movies).

Finley is a really sweet character. She’s lost her brother and lost part of her faith along with him. She goes to Ireland to retrace his steps and be in the place where he felt God’s presence. The Irish setting was beautiful, and I loved the descriptions of the small village life.

Beckett was a lot of fun. His character and story arc were pretty much what I expected, but I still enjoyed him. He was a sweet and interesting guy, and I loved how he helped Finley and was always there for her. There’s just something about a celebrity character I can’t resist, and it was fun to have that more lighthearted aspect in a book that’s so wrapped up in grief and hard times.

I wish that the side characters (like the girls from Finley’s school) were a bit more well rounded, but Finley and Beckett and their complexities make up for that. I also almost wished we could’ve experienced some of the things Finley went through in the two years between her brother’s death and her trip to Ireland. It would have given a better backstory, because I couldn’t see the Finley we read about in this book doing some of the things that are talked about.

Overall this is a pretty powerful read with an important message. It’s about Finley believing and trusting in God and finding His voice as she finds herself again. Finley’s faith is always a big part of who she is, even when she’s doubting, and I appreciated the nuances of that. This is a really perfect feel good read when you’re in the mood for something quieter that still moves at a good pace. Finley, her faith, and dealing with her brother’s death are at the centre of this novel, but it also has a foreign setting, the fun celebrity angle, and a pretty sweet romance. I would say it's well worth a read if it sounds like the type of book you might enjoy.

The Cover:
I'm not sure why but I really like it! I think it fits the story well.

Rating:
[3.5/5]

Find There You'll Find Me by Jenny B. Jones on Goodreads, Book Depository, & Amazon.

8 comments:

  1. Hm. We wouldn't have guessed there would be a teen actor in this, based on the cover -- which is nice, actually. And your review further reinforces that this is a more serious book that focuses on Finley, her tragedy, her struggles, her evolution. We like the idea of that. We also love Ireland, hehe.

    Thanks for writing a great review! We may have to pick this one up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so want to read this book, I'm very intrigued by the Irish Setting. It does sound like some of the characters are a little underdeveloped but it still sounds like a good read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I just love that cover! The Irish setting certainly has me intrigued. Great review, Ashley!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw, it sounds sweet. Plus, like Alex & Hafsah, I'm intrigued by the setting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't seen many reviews of this one - thanks for giving me a better idea of what to expect, Ashley! Sounds like it has a nice balance of light and heavy elements and I'm glad to hear that the religious aspect is given shades of nuance.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love just about any book set in Ireland. There's something about it that draws me in. Anyway, I'll be checking this one out. Yours is the first review I've seen for it, and it sounds like a sweet read.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I also read, enjoyed, and reviewed this book. I look forward to reading more books by Jenny B. Jones.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm no fan of totally religious reads, but you make it sound like a book I want to read. Especially the romance and setting do convince me!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment; I appreciate each one!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...