October 21, 2013

Running Back by Allison Parr

Running Back by Allison Parr
Release Date: October 21, 2013
Publisher: Carina Press
Pages: 229
Series: New York Leopards
#2 (Companion series)
Review Source: Netgalley

Synopsis: (from Goodreads)
Natalie Sullivan is on the verge of a breakthrough most archaeology grad students only dream of: discovering a lost city. Her research points to a farm in Ireland, but to excavate she needs permission from the new owner: the Michael O'Connor, popular NFL running back.

On TV Mike seems so charming and good-natured that Natalie figures getting his cooperation will be a breeze. So she's not prepared to deal with the arrogant—and adamantly opposed—man she meets in person. Or the way one look from him sends shivers down her spine…

Determined to kick-start her career, Natalie travels across the Atlantic and finds herself sharing an inn with Mike, who has come to Ireland in search of his roots. She tells herself her interest is strictly professional, but the more she gets to know him, the harder it is to deny her personal attraction to the sexy sports star. And when Mike confides why he refuses to allow the dig, Natalie must decide if she can follow her heart without losing sight of her dreams.
My Thoughts:
I loved the first book in this series (Rush Me), and I liked Running Back almost as much. I love how Allison Parr brings family and friends and the whole lives of her characters into her books. So many times the leads of romance novels are quite solitary, even if there’s a few scenes here and there with their friends or at work. This isn’t the case here, with family issues being an incredibly important issue to the main story.

Another aspect of this book I enjoyed tremendously was the focus on Ireland and archaeology. It felt like the author knew what she was talking about with archaeology (turns out she has a degree in it!), and her passion for the subject transferred easily over to Natalie. Speaking of Natalie, I really enjoyed both her and Mike. They were interesting individually, and they were a good fit together. I liked how clear it was that they liked each other, and that they wanted to put aside work issues and be together, even when it was difficult.

I really enjoy Allison Parr’s writing, and I’m already excited for her next NA novel from Carina, which will feature another New York Leopard, Abe (see FAQ #3 for a few details).

The Cover:
Not a fan of the colours, but I like how it matches the first.

Rating:
[4/5]

Purchase Links:
Amazon | Barnes & Noble | Carina Press | Kobo

2 comments:

  1. Okay, the series title "New York Leopards" totally made me think this was a paranormal series, and I kept waiting for your review to talk about sexy shapeshifters, hee hee. DESPITE THAT LACK, this book sounds like fun! Thanks for the review. ;)

    Wendy @ The Midnight Garden

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you liked it!! I read Rush Me and I thought it was fun, so I'm glad the trent keeps going. and YAY for an ABE book, he was so sweet in the first book.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment; I appreciate each one!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...