July 8, 2013

Wedding Night by Sophie Kinsella


Wedding Night by Sophie Kinsella
Release Date: April 23, 2013
Publisher: The Dial Press
Pages: 446
Series: n/a
Review Source: Finished copy for review from EMG Promotions

Synopsis: (from Goodreads)
Lottie just knows that her boyfriend is going to propose during lunch at one of London’s fanciest restaurants. But when his big question involves a trip abroad, not a trip down the aisle, she’s completely crushed. So when Ben, an old flame, calls her out of the blue and reminds Lottie of their pact to get married if they were both still single at thirty, she jumps at the chance. No formal dates—just a quick march to the altar and a honeymoon on Ikonos, the sun-drenched Greek island where they first met years ago.

Their family and friends are horrified. Fliss, Lottie’s older sister, knows that Lottie can be impulsive—but surely this is her worst decision yet. And Ben’s colleague Lorcan fears that this hasty marriage will ruin his friend’s career. To keep Lottie and Ben from making a terrible mistake, Fliss concocts an elaborate scheme to sabotage their wedding night. As she and Lorcan jet off to Ikonos in pursuit, Lottie and Ben are in for a honeymoon to remember, for better...or worse.
My Thoughts:
If you've read any books by Sophie Kinsella (such as her Shopaholic series), then you know that her works always include zany hi-jinks and over the top characters. That was definitely the case here, but I mean that in the best way possible. The crazy was delivered in a really fun way. It was exactly what I would expect from a Sophie Kinsella book, and yet the characters were interesting and different enough to stand out.

The book goes back and forth in POV from two sisters, Lottie and Fliss. Reading from these two perspectives gives you a really wide view of the whole story, seeing things not only from two different people, but also featuring different casts of characters and different locations. I was surprised by how much of the book was from Fliss’ perspective, considering the title and concept of the book revolves around Lottie. I ended up being glad for this, though, because I really loved Fliss, especially when she was bantering with Lorcan.

You can see where the book is heading from the beginning (helped along by a prologue from a third character), and yet the story wasn't so obvious that it took the fun out of things. There were times when a Happily Ever After seemed out of reach for both ladies, and even though you knew everything would work out, you wondered how exactly it would all happen.

If you’ve read and enjoyed Sophie Kinsella’s books in the past, then I’m sure you’ll love 'Wedding Night'. If you haven’t read anything by her before, then I definitely recommend you check out 'Wedding Night' and her other novels. ‘Wedding Night’ was just the right book for me at the right time. I definitely enjoyed it, and I think you will too if you're looking for something with humour, heart, romantic sparks, and a family element to it.

The Cover:
I like it!

Rating:
[4/5]

Find Wedding Night by Sophie Kinsella on Goodreads, Book Depository, & Amazon.

7 comments:

  1. Kinsella always writes fun stories and this one sounds like a good time. Romantic sparks and family are always plusses in my book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed this classic Kinsella book, too. What she writes is always so unrealistic, but I fall for her story-lines every time. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, this one sounds fun! I like the idea of it being narrated by two sisters. The only Kinsella I've read was Twenties Girl which I really enjoyed. Just added this one to the TBR list! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It actually sounds kind of fun!
    I kind of stopped reading her books because I felt that Becky - in the shopaholic books - never really grows up and the books started to feel repetitive, but I can see myself enjoying something like this so I'll put it in my TBR list :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I actually haven't heard of Kinsella's books before (side note: Kinsella -- the name -- totally reminds me of Hart of Dixie on the CW. So much love) This book sounds really cute, and I'd definitely give her books a shot. Though, maybe a shorter one. Books over 400 pages tend to be a big commitment for me. I'll have to do some hunting on Goodreads ;) Love the review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad you liked this one! I think I love all Sophie Kinsella books ... this one was awesome, as usual. :) Loved the dual character narrative and just how fun it all was! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I liked this book a lot too-the Shopaholic series has annoyed me so much but her standalones tend to really work for me.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment; I appreciate each one!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...