November 29, 2010

Mostly Good Girls by Leila Sales

Release Date: October 5, 2010
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Pages: 288
Review Source: Library


Synopsis: (from Goodreads)
The higher you aim, the farther you fall....

It’s Violet’s junior year at the Westfield School. She thought she’d be focusing on getting straight As, editing the lit mag, and figuring out how to talk to boys without choking on her own saliva. Instead, she’s just trying to hold it together in the face of cutthroat academics, her crush’s new girlfriend, and the sense that things are going irreversibly wrong with her best friend, Katie.

When Katie starts making choices that Violet can’t even begin to fathom, Violet has no idea how to set things right between them. Westfield girls are trained for success—but how can Violet keep her junior year from being one huge, epic failure?

My Thoughts:
I absolutely flew through this book because I found it so delightful and funny. Leila Sales has written a book that is comparable to the awesomeness of E. Lockhart (Ruby Oliver’s zaniness) and Louise Rennison (Georgia Nicholson’s ridiculous hilariosity), and yet also something all her own. I found Violet to be smart, funny, and relatable, and I think you can even understand the behaviour of Violet’s best friend Katie in some ways, as she acts out in response to feeling stifled in her private school bubble. I thought it was awesome how this book managed to cover “Issues” while still being so light and funny. There were moments of deep emotion, where I got so mad at the school principal for being unfair or the nasty girl at school for being so, well, nasty, and yet also moments where I laughed out loud (not something that happens often when I read a book). This is a really great contemporary book full of the humour and heartache of being a teenager; I highly recommend it.

Rating:


Find Mostly Good Girls by Leila Sales on Goodreads, Book Depository, & Amazon.ca

4 comments:

  1. I haven't heard of this one but I could use a funny and quick read, so I'm going to add this one to my list! Any book that makes me laugh out loud is a keeper and a favorite:) Great review Ashley!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I've only heard of this book in passing, and I'm trying to read more contemporary fiction, so this sounds right up my alley. Excellent review, Ashley! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the great review Ashley; I am going to recommend this to a friend's daughter -- it sounds like something she would love.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i read past perfect by this author a while back, and addooooreed it, so i'm really excited to get a copy of this one too, since it sounds just as hilarious!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment; I appreciate each one!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...