April 9, 2011

Withering Tights by Louise Rennison

Release Date: June 28, 2011 [North America]
Publisher: HarperTeen
Pages: 288
Review Source: Library


Synopsis: (from Goodreads)
Hilarious new series from Queen of Teen – laugh your tights off at the (VERY) amateur dramatic antics of Talullah and her bonkers mates. Boys, snogging and bad acting guaranteed!

Picture the scene: Dother Hall performing arts college somewhere Up North, surrounded by rolling dales, bearded cheesemaking villagers (male and female) and wildlife of the squirrely-type. On the whole, it’s not quite the showbiz experience Tallulah was expecting… but once her mates turn up and they start their ‘FAME! I’m gonna liiiiive foreeeeeever, I’m gonna fill my tiiiiights’ summer course things are bound to perk up. Especially when the boys arrive. (When DO the boys arrive?) Six weeks of parent-free freedom. BOY freedom. Freedom of expression... cos it’s the THEATRE dahling, theatre!!

My Thoughts:
Welcome back, Louise Rennison! I missed your insane sense of humour so much. In this book we say hello to Georgia’s cousin Tallulah, who is at a drama camp for the summer, attemping to win herself a spot in the school full time.

Tallulah is less zany (read: insane) than Georgia, and her mates are no Ace Gang, but that’s a good thing. Tallulah is still bonkers and hilarious, but she’s not Georgia reincarnate. She and her cast of characters are their own people, and I’m glad. Standouts include Ruby, a hilariously sarcastic 10 year old from the village, and Cain, a ne’er do well ladies man who is the lead singer of a local band, and who also keeps turning up wherever Tallulah is.

Is this book as good as the Georgia series? Perhaps it is, in its own way. I grew a little bit tired of some of the things in the book, but I have to say that I fell in love with Tallulah and her squirrel bed, her crazy knees, and her fondness for owlets. I found myself laughing out loud more than several times at the insane situations and one liners.

If you’re looking for a lighthearted laugh and a story with some heart to it, despite the ridiculousness, be sure and pick up ‘Withering Tights’!

Rating:


Find Withering Tights by Louise Rennison on Goodreads, Book Depository, & Amazon.ca

Note: I'm linking to the North American release information, though the copy I read from the library was the hardcover released in the UK last year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment; I appreciate each one!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...