September 29, 2010

And Then I Found Out the Truth by Jennifer Sturman

Release Date: July 1, 2010
Publisher: Point
Pages: 272
Review Source: Library


Synopsis: (from Goodreads)
Delia Truesdale is still searching for the truth about her mother, who is in hiding somewhere in South America. But for now, Delia has to make do with her mystery-solving in New York City, alongside her Aunt Charley (a downtown hipster), her Aunt Patience(an uptown ice queen), a detective with a questionable taste in neckties, an eccentric psychic, her brainiac friend, and Quinn, the wealthy, gorgeous boy who--gasp!-- seems to return Delia's affections. Too bad Quinn's shady CEO dad may be involved in the scheme Delia is trying to crack. And a trip to South America may be in order after all...

My Thoughts:
I enjoyed this book, much like I did the first one. I liked it, but it never wowed me. I liked Delia and Quinn, and I even liked Natalie, Charley, and Gwyneth... but I never really felt like I got a full handle on who they were. Maybe part of the problem is that, besides Delia, most of these characters seem like stock characters. There's the quirky aunt, the uptight aunt, the smart best friend, the gorgeous and perfect love interest, and the villains. The "bad guys" of the story are probably the most interesting, mostly because throughout the book you're trying to figure out who is all bad, and who might be good.

I didn't really understand the point of the gambling ring plot, except perhaps to create some tension between Delia and Quinn... but it felt unnecessary, and I would have rather spent more time on the main mystery. I also found the ending a bit of a letdown. Everything happened so quickly and without a lot of explanation, and I didn't feel like I could fully appreciate the reunion between Delia and her Mom, T.K.. All of this probably sounds harsh, but it was still a worthwhile read. If you enjoyed the first book you will definitely like this one. One great aspect of Sturman's writing is her sense of humour. If you can appreciate over the top characters and hijinks, you will likely find something to appreciate here.

Rating:


Find And Then I Found Out the Truth by Jennifer Sturman on Goodreads, Book Depository, & Amazon.ca

1 comment:

  1. It's sad when books play out too fast and aren't really fleshed out, eh? Either way, I hear great things about the entertainment value of these books. Great review, as always! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment; I appreciate each one!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...