September 12, 2010

Sisters Red by Jackson Pearce

Release Date: June 7, 2010
Publisher: Little, Brown Books for Young Readers
Pages: 326
Review Source: Library


Synopsis: (from Goodreads)
Scarlett March lives to hunt the Fenris-- the werewolves that took her eye when she was defending her sister Rosie from a brutal attack. Armed with a razor-sharp hatchet and blood-red cloak, Scarlett is an expert at luring and slaying the wolves. She's determined to protect other young girls from a grisly death, and her raging heart will not rest until every single wolf is dead.

Rosie March once felt her bond with her sister was unbreakable. Owing Scarlett her life, Rosie hunts fiercely alongside her. Now Rosie dreams of a life beyond the wolves and finds herself drawn to Silas, a young woodsman who is deadly with an ax-- but loving him means betraying her sister and has the potential to destroy all they've worked for.

Twenty-five-year-old Jackson Pearce delivers a dark, taut fairy tale with heart-pounding action, fierce sisterly love, and a romance that will leave readers breathless.

My Thoughts:
I loved the feel of this book... it was set it modern times, yet sometimes I forgot, because the writing had a timeless fairytale quality to it. I really adored Rosie, and I almost wish the whole thing had been from her perspective. I felt for Scarlett at times, but I couldn't really connect with her. She was too hard and too driven to hunt in a way that I couldn't understand at all. I also wish we could have connected a bit more with Silas and his thoughts, since we only get to see him from the perspective of each girl. The themes in 'Sisters Red' reminded me a lot of the concept of the TV show Supernatural. There are two siblings who hunt supernatural creatures, one of whom is totally committed, and the other who is flirting with having a normal life, separate from hunting. There is also a similarity in how a small group of people (the hunters) know the truth about these creatures, and the rest of humanity (the ones who the hunters are trying to save) are in the dark.

I agree with some reviewers who felt the whole thing dragged on a bit... because despite a lot of fights occurring there wasn't a whole lot going on. I liked the twist at the end, although I saw it coming for miles, and I'm usually the worst person ever for guessing "whodunnit" or seeing things coming in books or movies. Despite these things, for a short while I did feel myself engaged with the book and its characters, and I really cared about what happened to Rosie and Silas. As I mentioned, I found it very hard to connect to Scarlett, and I didn't really like her much at all, but I still appreciated the bond between the two sisters. I think anyone who enjoys re-tellings of fairy tales and stories with themes of good versus evil involving the supernatural would like 'Sisters Red.'

Rating:


Find Sisters Red by Jackson Pearce on Goodreads, Book Depository, & Amazon.ca

10 comments:

  1. I rated it a tad bit lower but I was totally intrigued by the premise--little red as the hunter of wolves, not the hunted. Scarlett, she was just too much for me & I couldn't connect with her at all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book looks like something I'd really like. I've never heard of it! Just requested it from the library. :)

    Also, Vaughn just found Lauren's wig and realized she is a double agent!!!!!!! ;)

    Gem

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you would probably enjoy it, Gemini. It had some really good aspects to it.

    OOOOH, big Alias moment!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the review. This novel is patiently waiting in my TBR pile and I can't wait for it. I love fairytale re-tellings so it's right up my alley. Glad to read you mostly enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know this isn't exactly the place for it, but I thought I'd mention to you that your GR account is set to private. In your review policy, you invite people who might be interested in sending you a book to check your GR account for the types of books you normally read, but since it's private, no one can see it unless you become friends.

    Sorry for not having a better place to post this, although I did read your review, and I liked it! I think I'll bump this one up my TBR!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ashley, thanks for the comment! I never even thought about my profile being private... I had it that way before I started my blog and it had my last name and other details on it. But I've edited those out now, and I do want people to be able to see my shelves. So I've changed it to public now. Again, thanks for the comment!

    ReplyDelete
  7. :O Supernatural??? Oh my gosh. This is a must read for me. That show is like...something of an obsession with my friends, lol. I definitely have to read this soon. Thanks for your input. And re-tellings have recently intrigued me. I must read this!

    ReplyDelete
  8. hmmm...i have know i idea why i haven't read this book yet... Sounds like i need 2 lol :D Great review

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Ashley! I took this book out of my library based on your recommendation, and I really liked it! Like you, I found it difficult to connect with Scarlett, but I kind of liked that aspect - obviously Rosie is the more emotional character, and Scarlett is meant to be more distant, focused only on the hunt. I liked the story and how it was set in today's time, like the first scene when they're children and The Price is Right is playing as the wolf comes to their house. It really set the scene, I think. Thanks for the rec! :) - Gemini

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment; I appreciate each one!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...