October 16, 2010

The Body Finder by Kimberly Derting

Release Date: March 1, 2010
Publisher: HarperTeen
Pages: 336
Review Source: Library


Synopsis: (from Goodreads)
Violet Ambrose is grappling with two major issues: Jay Heaton and her morbid secret ability. While the sixteen-year-old is confused by her new feelings for her best friend since childhood, she is more disturbed by her "power" to sense dead bodies—or at least those that have been murdered. Since she was a little girl, she has felt the echoes the dead leave behind in the world . . . and the imprints that attach to their killers.

Violet has never considered her strange talent to be a gift; it mostly just led her to find dead birds her cat left for her. But now that a serial killer is terrorizing her small town, and the echoes of the local girls he's claimed haunt her daily, Violet realizes she might be the only person who can stop him.

Despite his fierce protectiveness over her, Jay reluctantly agrees to help Violet find the murderer—and Violet is unnerved by her hope that Jay's intentions are much more than friendly. But even as she's falling intensely in love, Violet is getting closer and closer to discovering a killer . . . and becoming his prey herself.

My Thoughts:
First of all, can I comment on how gorgeous this cover is? The flower is this amazing shade of blue, and even though it’s sort of ominous, it reminds me of my blog design. That being said, I really adored this book. I went into it a bit tentatively just because of the “paranormal” label it has, but I was so happy to find I enjoyed it and connected with the main character, Violet. Violet has the horrible (but useful) ability to sense the bodies of those who have been murdered, as well as the ability to sense those who have killed before. This sounds completely disturbing, and while the book has tons of action and creepy scenes (how about reading some short chapters from the POV of the killer? VERY creepy!!), don’t be put off by this subject matter. The book reminded me of the TV show ‘Criminal Minds’ in a lot of ways, in that you get into the head of the “unsub”, but you’re on the side of good, wanting Violet to find this creep.

Now, let me also comment on Violet’s best friend Jay. I’ve heard that pretty much everyone is in love with him, and I have to join those ranks. However, I found him a lot more appealing in the first part of the book. I guess I felt like everything happened so quickly in the second half of the book that we didn’t get to experience his personality as much. Jay is a great love interest, and one that I think is a good example for teen girls to aspire to date. He’s kind and respectful, and he’s protective of Violet, yet it’s clear that she’s still her own person. I really enjoyed this book, and I think people who are usually turned off by books with protagonists who have “powers” would appreciate ‘The Body Finder’ as well. It’s a sweet book that’s also steamy, and a typical love story mixed with a mystery that’s quite dark and creepy at times. I would absolutely recommend this book.

Rating:


Find The Body Finder by Kimberly Derting on Goodreads, Book Depository, & Amazon.ca

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment; I appreciate each one!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...