October 19, 2010

Raised by Wolves by Jennifer Lynn Barnes

Release Date: June 8, 2010
Publisher: EgmontUSA
Pages: 432
Review Source: Library


Synopsis: (from Goodreads)
Adopted by the Alpha of a werewolf pack after a rogue wolf brutally killed her parents right before her eyes, fifteen-year-old Bryn knows only pack life, and the rigid social hierarchy that controls it. That doesn't mean that she's averse to breaking a rule or two.

But when her curiosity gets the better of her and she discovers Chase, a new teen locked in a cage in her guardian's basement, and witnesses him turn into a wolf before her eyes, the horrific memories of her parents' murders return. Bryn becomes obsessed with getting her questions answered, and Chase is the only one who can provide the information she needs.

But in her drive to find the truth, will Bryn push too far beyond the constraints of the pack, forcing her to leave behind her friends, her family, and the identity that she's shaped?

My Thoughts:
'Raised by Wolves' is a very interesting take on the werewolf novel, as it's protagonist is Bryn, a human girl who was (as the title indicates) raised by wolves. I liked this book, but not as much as I wanted to. Perhaps it's because I don't typically read paranormal fantasy, but I wasn't able to fully immerse myself in the story. I liked Bryn, and I liked her more and more as I got to know her character and her motivations better. The place where the story lost me a bit was the connection between Bryn and Chase, and how it effected everyone around them. I'm skeptical of anything that makes people the centre of each other's world, and shuts out everything else, and even though this is the pack mentality, I had problems with what it meant for Bryn and her independence. Some of the more minor characters fell a bit flat to me, which is always a disappointment. However, there are a lot of great things about this book. There's action as well as introspection, and it does address the issue of independence versus having someone be dominant over you. I think fans of the typical paranormal romance would really enjoy 'Raised by Wolves,' as the writing style is very strong but accessible, and it involves a well developed main character, and also has a bit of a romantic aspect.

Rating:


Find Raised by Wolves by Jennifer Lynn Barnes on Goodreads, Book Depository, & Amazon.ca

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment; I appreciate each one!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...