December 21, 2012

Tempestuous by Kim Askew and Amy Helmes

Release Date: December 18, 2012
Publisher: Merit Press
Pages: 224
Series: Twisted Lit
#1
Review Source: Netgalley


Synopsis: (from Goodreads)
Recently banished, unfairly, by the school’s popular crowd, former “it girl,” Miranda Prospero, finds herself in a brave new world: holding dominion amongst a rag-tag crew of geeks and misfits where she works at the Hot-Dog Kabob in the food court of her local mall. When the worst winter storm of the season causes mall workers and last-minute shoppers to be snowed-in for the night, Miranda seizes the opportunity to get revenge against the catty clique behind her social exile. With help from her delightfully dweeby coworker, Ariel, and a sullen loner named Caleb who works at the mall’s nearby gaming and magic shop, Miranda uses charm and trickery to set things to right during this spirited take on Shakespeare’s The Tempest.

My Thoughts:
There’s something about a story where teens are trapped in one location that always intrigues me. Mix that with being trapped in a mall (who hasn’t dreamed about that before?), and the fact that this is a “twisted lit” novel based on Shakespeare’s ‘The Tempest’, and you definitely have a winner on your hands.

What I really liked about ‘Tempestuous’ is that it’s just plain fun. Miranda is an over the top character, but in a good way. She’s someone who is just realizing how her actions have affected others in the past, and while she’s still a bit judgey in the beginning, she really starts to come into her own throughout the novel.

I felt like it was easy to figure out who was responsible for the store robberies, and yet it was still fun figuring out when the teens would discover the true culprit. Despite deducing the overall plot (because of being a bit familiar with ‘The Tempest’), I was still wondering what exactly would happen next and how the play would be referenced and connected.

‘Tempestuous’ features some really fun side characters that stuck out as individuals, especially Ariel, who is all kinds of adorable. The relationship between Caleb and Miranda throughout the evening seemed natural. There was cute banter and, eventually, begrudging respect from both of them. I loved the plot device where they were literally tethered together, so you had both of them present at all times.

This book is a big mall adventure that you could almost see as cinematic, with all the hijinks going on and the visual way they are described. Pretty much if you’re looking for a really fun reading experience, then look no further.

The Cover:
I really like almost as a piece of artwork (you know, minus the soda cup), but as a book cover I'm not sure if it sticks out that well.

Rating:
[4/5]

Find Tempestuous by Kim Askew and Amy Helmes on Goodreads, Book Depository, & Amazon.

12 comments:

  1. This sounds adorable! I like when the characters are all trapped in one place, too, and there's the possibility of drama (in this case, the robberies). I agree about the cover -- cute but not stand-out. Maybe that's why I didn't see it on NetGalley? Or dismissed it as younger than I wanted to read at the time?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm, could be! It's definitely fine for younger YAs, but it's not especially juvenile or anything, especially when you're looking at all the Shakespeare connections. It's one of those "deeper than you think" type of books, I believe.

      Delete
  2. Enjoyed your review! I love fun reads, and am intrigues by the whole trapped-by-a-snowstorm setting. Don't really remember the Tempest, but am looking forward to reading this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's pretty cool because even if you're not at all familiar with the play you can enjoy it, but having a little bit of background in it makes it more enjoyable, I think.

      Delete
  3. It sounds like a good book, I do like when the characters are a bit over the top but in a good way.
    The cover is cute yeah, but I don't know, it seems more for a younger kids book or for one of those "classics" that they try to sell with nice covers. Not very memorable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed, it's unfortunate that the cover is cool looking, just not really for the book they're selling.

      Delete
  4. Yeah, the cover didn't jump out at me, but I like the splash of color in the cup.
    I had the chance to get this for review but didn't really give it a second look, I chose some others instead. But after reading your review I kind of wish I hadn't. It sounds like I might like this one! I guess I'll remember that in the future. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes you'll have to check it out if you're in the mood for something lighter and fun -- it was a good read!

      Delete
  5. Oooh, this does seem like a fun twist and perfect for a winter read! I remember when I was a young teen and how obsessed with the mall I was. Just to be there. Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's true, there are very few places for teens to hang out, so I think the mall becomes the main hangout for that reason. I definitely spent way more time there as a teen than I do now!

      Delete
  6. I thought this book was so much fun as well-a great fast weekend read! Can't wait to check out the next book, Exposure.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment; I appreciate each one!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...