April 4, 2013

This Is What Happy Looks Like by Jennifer E. Smith

Release Date: April 2, 2013
Publisher: Poppy
Pages: 416
Series: n/a
Review Source: Netgalley


Synopsis: (from Goodreads)
If fate sent you an email, would you answer?

When teenage movie star Graham Larkin accidentally sends small town girl Ellie O'Neill an email about his pet pig, the two seventeen-year-olds strike up a witty and unforgettable correspondence, discussing everything under the sun, except for their names or backgrounds.

Then Graham finds out that Ellie's Maine hometown is the perfect location for his latest film, and he decides to take their relationship from online to in-person. But can a star as famous as Graham really start a relationship with an ordinary girl like Ellie? And why does Ellie want to avoid the media's spotlight at all costs?

My Thoughts:
This book fell a bit flat for me, I think because I really expected it to be hugely focused on the romance. ‘This is What Happy Looks Like’ is a cute book overall, but it definitely felt more lower YA to me (which isn't a bad thing, but it wasn't what I expected).

I loved the beginning of the book with the first emails between Graham and Ellie. This was the highlight of the book, for me, actually. I wish there had been more build up of their communication and how they fell for each other through their words. Graham and Ellie are cute main characters who should have induced swoons when they were together, but none of it really reached me emotionally.

Once again (like in Statistical Probability), this book deals with more than just romance. Normally I appreciate contemps that are well-rounded, but here I didn’t care at all for Ellie’s friend, Quinn, or for Ellie’s mother. Their characters were over the top and judgmental, which made me dislike any of the parts about these relationships.

Unfortunately I never really related to this book on any deeper level, but it was still a quick read that’s worth picking up if you’re in the mood for something fluffier.

The Cover:
Cute overall.

Rating:
[2.5/5]

Find This Is What Happy Looks Like by Jennifer E. Smith on Goodreads, Book Depository, & Amazon.

18 comments:

  1. This bums me out. I got an eARC of it and started it and you're right - the emails were cute and funny. But a few chapters in, I set it aside one afternoon and never came back. There was nothing that truly sucked me in.

    I really expected this to amuse and captivate me the way The Statistical Probability did, but it didn't. I probably won't go back to it since you said it didn't get better. Thanks, Ashley!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel kind of bad, because it wasn't terrible or anything, but when there's so many books & so little time, I wouldn't say it's worth the effort.

      Delete
  2. Oh noes! I know how excited for this you were... That's a booger. :/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't intend to read this one, but I remember how much I disliked the father-daughter subplot in Statistical Probability. Years of resentment fixed with a single conversation... not likely.
    Too bad it didn't work out with this one either.
    Great review, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely identified that plot, but you're right, it was way too much of a quick fix.

      Thanks =)

      Delete
  4. I love YA romance so I'm a little sad to find out that its not the big focus. I haven't read any of this author's books but they both sound really good so will have to at least give one a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a big romance fan too, but I don't mind when contemps are well rounded. Unfortunately her books just don't totally work for me.

      Delete
  5. Aw, sadness. I loved that first book SO MUCH -- and to have this one fall flat just makes me sad. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe you'll like this one, then? Although I liked Statistical Probability WAY more.

      Delete
  6. Awww, I'm hearing others say the same thing. :( I'm still hoping to like it. We'll see! Thanks for being honest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, at least I'm not the only one, but there are tons of people loving it too. *shrugs*

      Delete
  7. I was so into the emails in the beginning, but just like Hannah, I put it aside and I just haven't had the urge to return. Sorry this fell flat for you, but I'm glad to have an excuse to do what I want to do anyway, just skip the rest of it. Thanks for your honesty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes you just have to DNF. Tons of people loved this book, but it can't be for everyone.

      Delete
  8. That's too bad you were expecting something deeper. I really didn't expect anything but cute, fluffy romance and that's what I got. Personally, I really loved the book and look forward to reading more by Jennifer!

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I liked the story a bit more than you did, but I can see why it didn't work for you. It is a very fluffy read as you say it. Something I would very much enjoy as a beach read. And the e-mails were my favourite part, too:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely, and I think it was good for what it was. =)

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment; I appreciate each one!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...