January 14, 2014

Roomies by Sara Zarr & Tara Altebrando

Roomies by Sara Zarr & Tara Altebrando
Release Date: December 24, 2013
Publisher: Little, Brown Books for Young Readers
Pages: 288
Series: n/a
Review Source: Netgalley

Synopsis: (from Goodreads)

It's time to meet your new roomie.

When East Coast native Elizabeth receives her freshman-year roommate assignment, she shoots off an e-mail to coordinate the basics: television, microwave, mini-fridge. That first note to San Franciscan Lauren sparks a series of e-mails that alters the landscape of each girl's summer -- and raises questions about how two girls who are so different will ever share a dorm room.

As the countdown to college begins, life at home becomes increasingly complex. With family relationships and childhood friendships strained by change, it suddenly seems that the only people Elizabeth and Lauren can rely on are the complicated new boys in their lives . . . and each other. Even though they've never met.

National Book Award finalist Sara Zarr and acclaimed author Tara Altebrando join forces for a novel about growing up, leaving home, and getting that one fateful e-mail that assigns your college roommate.
My Thoughts:
I absolutely LOVED this book. Seriously. Full stop LOVE. I just thought it was so perfect in so many ways. I adored what it had to say about friendship, romantic relationships, growing up, and change.

Roomies tells the story of two girls who are very, very different in many ways, but who also “get” each other on a larger level. I adored how their stories were so different, and yet both of them had a focus on family, boys, and friends.

What’s so fun about the relationship between EB and Lauren is that they only communicate by email up until the end. It really shows how it’s possible to grow a friendship online that’s very complicated, but also very meaningful. Speaking of meaningful, Roomies also features such perfect secondary characters. I especially adored Lauren’s family and EB's love interest, Matt.

For a relatively short book, Roomies covers so many important stories and truths. I loved how things were presented and examined. I really enjoyed the characters and the plot, but I also enjoyed the central theme of getting ready for college and preparing for change. While I enjoy a lot of New Adult books that are out there, Roomies touches on a lot of things that I wish more NA books would mention. This is the type of NA story that I find relatable.

The Cover:
I suppose it's appropriate, but I really don't care for it (maybe just the colours I don't like??).

Rating:
[5/5]

Purchase Links:
Kobo | Amazon.ca | Amazon.com | Chapters-Indigo | Barnes & Noble | Book Depository

2 comments:

  1. This sounds so great! Glad you enjoyed it. It's definitely on our TBR list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so excited for Roomies! I love that more YA books are being set in college.

    Yeah, I'm not crazy about the neon on the cover, though I do like it overall.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment; I appreciate each one!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...