July 21, 2011

Fury by Elizabeth Miles

Release Date: August 30, 2011
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Pages: 352
Series: Fury #1
Review Source: GalleyGrab


Synopsis: (from Goodreads)
Sometimes sorry isn't enough....
It’s winter break in Ascension, Maine. The snow is falling and everything looks pristine and peaceful. But not all is as it seems...

Between cozy traditions and parties with her friends, Emily loves the holidays. And this year’s even better--the guy she’s been into for months is finally noticing her. But Em knows if she starts things with him, there’s no turning back. Because his girlfriend is Em’s best friend.

On the other side of town, Chase is having problems of his own. The stress of his home life is starting to take its toll, and his social life is unraveling. But that’s nothing compared to what’s really haunting him. Chase has done something cruel...something the perfect guy he pretends to be would never do. And it’s only a matter of time before he’s exposed.

In Ascension, mistakes can be deadly. And three girls—three beautiful, mysterious girls—are here to choose who will pay.

Em and Chase have been chosen.

My Thoughts:
‘Fury’ is arguably one of the most hyped books of the late summer, but I think it’s going to disappoint a lot of people. Don’t get me wrong, ‘Fury’ is a decent enough read. There’s lots of action and paranormal-esque instances, and it kept me reading and wanting more the entire time. But ‘Fury’ is also one of those books that you read and when you finish you ask yourself: ‘What was that?’ None of the characters are very likable, which I can understand might be the whole point, but it just doesn’t work. They have their moments, but then they also do and say things that are completely ridiculous. Characters flip-flopping all over the place is one of my pet peeves, and this happens a lot with our main character, Em.

And then there’s the furies. I didn’t really understand what they were all about. What were they doing? I guess they felt wrath or something, because what they were handing out definitely wasn’t justice. Just because some teenagers do some pretty (or in some cases, really) shitty things, it doesn’t mean they should die for it. I wish there had been more depth to the furies, maybe some chapters from their POV or something, because they basically just appeared as beautiful psycho stalkers obsessed with vengeance.

I guess I just didn’t “get” this book. I enjoyed it enough while I was reading it, but it left me with more questions than answers. I was especially disappointed by the ending. I guess it sets up the next book nicely, but I didn’t like where any of the characters had been left. If I could have felt more of a connection with the characters, if their behaviour had made more sense, I think I could have really loved this book. Instead I’m left with a book that I definitely liked, but that I feel more confused about than anything else.

The Cover: I know everyone loves it, but I don't. The girl is posed so awkwardly! The only thing borderline cool is the way the hair looks flame-y at the bottom.

Rating:
[3/5]

Find Fury by Elizabeth Miles on Goodreads, Book Depository, & Amazon.ca

8 comments:

  1. I completely agree! I'm really hesitant to read books with hype and this one was a textbook perfect case of it not turning out right. I agree that the Furies part of the book was left too close to the end and not enough focus was put on their purpose, how they got there, their abilities, etc. Maybe the sequel will be better?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shoot! I've been reading a lot of similar reactions to this book. I can overlook a lot of little flaws with a story if I like the characters and they draw me in, but it's nearly impossible to get involved when you just don't like the people you're reading about. Thanks for the review Ashley, this one is getting pushed down the TBR pile a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read this yet, but I was definitely wary of the hype. I've read several reviews with the same thoughts as you, so I think I'll be steering clear of this really. thanks for the review, it was really well thought out

    The Cait Files

    ReplyDelete
  4. Actually, I've read a couple of reviews of this one who felt the same way as you. Sad, because this one seemed to have so much potential. Nice review -- hope your next book treats you better.
    Mary @ Book Swarm

    ReplyDelete
  5. i do not like this cover either (you are the first person to have mentioned that! high five ;) )

    i wasn't really planning on reading this ~ but i liked reading your thoughts on it anyway. i sometimes feel the exact same way about books :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You did an excellent job of setting out why this book didn't work for you. I wonder if you will now read the second one?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmmm, I don't think I will read the second book, no. Unless I hear that it's magically WAY better than the first one. I'm curious to see what happens, but I'll probably try and find review spoilers instead of actually reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the honest review Ashley! I've been hearing mixed reviews with many sharing similar thoughts as your own, so I have a feeling I will be feeling the same way...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment; I appreciate each one!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...