August 15, 2012

Minder by Kate Kaynak

Release Date: May 21, 2012 (originally May 6, 2010)
Publisher: Spencer Hill Press
Pages: 224
Series: Ganzfield
#1
Review Source: ARC for review from publisher


Synopsis: (from Goodreads)
Sixteen-year-old Maddie Dunn is special, but she needs to figure out how to use her new abilities before somebody else gets hurt. Ganzfield is a secret training facility full of people like her, but it's not exactly a nurturing place. Every social interaction carries the threat of mind-control. A stray thought can burn a building to the ground. And people's nightmares don't always stay in their own heads. But it's still better than New Jersey--especially once she meets the man of her dreams...

My Thoughts:
I absolutely loved the super powers/X-Men element of this book. Books with academies for gifted students are kind of like my kryptonite. I'm basically guaranteed to like them, and 'Minder' was no exception. I loved hearing about all the different abilities, and the fact that there was this sense of danger throughout the book from some unknown person or group made it even more awesome.

The school setting and all the abilities were so interesting that I actually wish less time had been spent focusing on the romance. The relationship between Maddie and Trevor was definitely a form of insta-love, which I normally hate, but in this case I could understand it and accept it more than usual. Their powers led them to a deeper immediate connection, so I bought their affection, though I still found them too mushy. I would have liked the romance more if it were about the connection and affection without leaping straight to "love".

Still, I couldn't help but be intrigued by this book. I was fascinated with Seth, who only appears in the book in mind-to-mind conversations with Maddie. I also loved the action at the end of the book. All the characters with different powers working together to save one of their own was epic, and I wish there was more of this. So despite the romance dominating the middle of the book I still really enjoyed this book, and I will definitely be checking out the 2nd book to see where things go plot-wise.

The Cover:
I absolutely love the concept itself and what they were trying to do, but the execution is a bit strange.

Rating:
[3/5]

Find Minder by Kate Kaynak on Goodreads, Book Depository, & Amazon.

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, not a huge fan of the cover but the premise is great! Love anything superhero, too, though it sounds like the romance should have taken a back seat to it. Interesting!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment; I appreciate each one!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...