June 30, 2011

Between by Cyndi Tefft

Release Date: April 5, 2011
Publisher: Self-pubbed
Pages: 224
Series: Between #1
Review Source: eBook for review from author


Synopsis: (from Goodreads)
It just figures that the love of Lindsey Water's life isn't alive at all, but the grim reaper, complete with a dimpled smile and Scottish accent.

After transporting souls to heaven for the last 300 years, Aiden MacRae has all but given up on finding the one whose love will redeem him and allow him entry through the pearly gates.

Torn between her growing attraction to Aiden and heaven's siren song, Lindsey must learn the hard way whether love really can transcend all boundaries.

My Thoughts:
What I Liked:
- the time travel-y type aspect of the book
- the ability of Lindsey and Aiden to “cast” into their own memories and to change their reality
- the plot twist that occurs about 1/2 way through: it literally made to say “woah!”
- a few of the more emotionally honest scenes, like one particular encounter between Lindsey and her Dad

What I Disliked:
- insta-love to the extreme: I really couldn’t stomach the relationship between Lindsey and Aiden, and when I couldn’t buy into their relationship it pretty much meant the book was lost to me
- Aiden: he seemed like a stereotype or a cliche, rather than an actual character, and I found him to be pretty skeevy (when he checks out Lindsey's mom's butt is one particular example that sticks out in my mind... ew)
- Lindsey: she was weak and mopey, and pretty selfish as well, wanting to choose death over her family, friends, and whole life, just because of some guy she just met

Conclusion:
Definitely not the book for me. It all rested upon Lindsey and Aiden’s relationship, which meant I really didn’t enjoy it. I basically skimmed the last 1/3 of the book in order to finish it.

The book just doesn’t really feel like a YA title, partially because of the sexual content (the lust factor of it all), but a lot because of the characters as well. However, as always, I have seen positive reviews for ‘Between’, so feel free to peruse those and see if this might be the book for you.

The Cover: I like the blue colour and I think it works - it's memorable. The tagline is really great as well.

Rating:
[1/5]

Find Between by Cyndi Tefft on Goodreads. Click on over to Cyndi's blog to find the many ways of purchasing 'Between'.

4 comments:

  1. SHOOT!!! I have this one on my Kindle and now I'm worried. I can't deal with the insta-love situation, I've really almost reached my breaking point, so if you could barely stomach it, I know I'll have a similar reaction. Too bad. Thanks for your honesty though, I'm glad to know about the extreme romance element going in:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely love your honesty. I know that it is disappointing and hard to give a negative review. I really don't like insta-love either. Fab review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Checking out the mom's butt is definitely creepy. For me sometimes the insta-love works and sometimes it doesn't but for Lindsey to want to die for Aiden I think is a little too much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a shame...seems as tho the best thing about this book was the cover.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment; I appreciate each one!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...