January 20, 2012

Hallowed by Cynthia Hand

Release Date: January 17, 2012
Publisher: Harper Teen
Pages: 416
Series: Unearthly
#2
Review Source: Netgalley


Synopsis: (from Goodreads)
For months part-angel Clara Gardner trained to face the raging forest fire from her visions and rescue the alluring and mysterious Christian Prescott from the blaze. But nothing could prepare her for the fateful decisions she would be forced to make that day, or the startling revelation that her purpose—the task she was put on earth to accomplish—is not as straightforward as she thought. Now, torn between her increasingly complicated feelings for Christian and her love for her boyfriend, Tucker, Clara struggles to make sense of what she was supposed to do the day of the fire. And, as she is drawn further into the world of part angels and the growing conflict between White Wings and Black Wings, Clara learns of the terrifying new reality that she must face: Someone close to her will die in a matter of months. With her future uncertain, the only thing Clara knows for sure is that the fire was just the beginning.

My Thoughts:
What can I say about this one?? Such a good (and incredibly emotional) follow up to ‘Unearthly’. ‘Hallowed’ gives readers a continued connection with the main characters as the love triangle amps up. This series deserves an award for one of the best love triangles ever, though. I love how the love triangle has a purpose to the story, and that both guys are worthy of Clara.

There were some shocking moments in ‘Hallowed’ and some heartbreaking ones as well. More details about the angel mythology are revealed, and Clara learns secrets about her family and about the past. This aspect was fascinating, as was the continued discussion about purpose. I liked how the idea of free will was brought up, and whether or not angel-bloods have choices.

Cynthia Hand’s flowing prose will have you holding your breath as you keep turning pages to see what will happen next. This is such a great series, and ‘Hallowed’ offers revelations that will make you look at events from ‘Unearthly’ in a completely different way. I never thought I would fall in love with an angel series, but these books have proved me wrong. An incredible second installment that will leave you wanting Book 3 pronto (!) in order to find out more about Clara and her purpose.

The Cover:
So pretty!

Rating:
[5/5]

Find Hallowed by Cynthia Hand on Goodreads, Book Depository, & Amazon.

P.S. Happy Birthday Mom!! =)

8 comments:

  1. First of all, HAPPY BIRTHDAY ASHLEY'S MOM!!! Woo hoo!

    Second, so glad you loved this one too! I was just so pleased with how many questions were answered, it was so nice to not be strung along in a second book. There are definitely still plenty of questions, but I was more than satisfied with what we found out:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I REALLY need to read this one. I truly enjoyed the first one though, like you, I didn't expect to connect to an angel book. I do love a book that answers its questions, instead of just raising more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely sounds like there is alot more to this book than your average paranormal story with questions of free will, and larger purposes interwoven throughout the story. Hope that the next installment is just as good for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I keep being tempted by this book, but I think I'm definitely going to wait until the series is complete because I don't think I can wait. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful review Ashley I loved this too and I loved that we got to know some answers. Really curious about the 3rd book!

    Giselle
    Xpresso Reads

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awe, awesome review, Ashley! And great job avoiding spoilers. ;) Also, happy birthday to your mom! :D

    I totally agree about both boys being worthy of Clara...it's nice to have a love triangle where there's a reason for both boys to actually be in it. :P Too often one boy is obviously going to be chosen by the girl...then you just have a second guy who's unfortunately being strung along...or is too dense to realize the girl doesn't like him, and I love that this one isn't like that. Tucker and Christian both have their strengths, and they're realistic because they both have their faults, too.

    Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Ashley! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just devoured this book yesterday and loved it too. I'm on the fence about the love triangle, but agree they are both worthy choices for Clara.
    It's going to be a long year waiting for the next book!
    Awesome review Ashley.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been hearing good things about this one, but first I think I have to finally get around to reading Unearthly, no? Man, I want to put a moratorium on sequels, just for a little bit, so I can catch up on the *first* books! :S


    Smiles!
    Lori

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment; I appreciate each one!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...