September 7, 2012

My Super Sweet Sixteenth Century by Rachel Harris

Release Date: September 11, 2012
Publisher: Entangled Publishing
Pages: 304
Series: My Super Sweet Sixteenth Century
#1
Review Source: Netgalley


Synopsis: (from Goodreads)
On the precipice of her sixteenth birthday, the last thing lone wolf Cat Crawford wants is an extravagant gala thrown by her bubbly stepmother and well-meaning father. So even though Cat knows the family’s trip to Florence, Italy, is a peace offering, she embraces the magical city and all it offers. But when her curiosity leads her to an unusual gypsy tent, she exits . . . right into Renaissance Firenze.

Thrust into the sixteenth century armed with only a backpack full of contraband future items, Cat joins up with her ancestors, the sweet Alessandra and protective Cipriano, and soon falls for the gorgeous aspiring artist Lorenzo. But when the much-older Niccolo starts sniffing around, Cat realizes that an unwanted birthday party is nothing compared to an unwanted suitor full of creeptastic amore. Can she find her way back to modern times before her Italian adventure turns into an Italian forever?

My Thoughts:
If you’re looking for something light and fun, look no further than ‘My Super Sweet Sixteenth Century’. Ever since I saw that cover with the old timey clothes juxtaposed with the backpack I was intrigued by this book, and I’m glad I had the opportunity to review it. I feel like this book offers exactly what you’d expect it to. I was looking for a fun time travel adventure with a little bit of romance, and that’s precisely what I received.

The romance angle was definitely sweet. Even though Lorenzo seemed cheesy at first, he definitely becomes more appealing as Cat gets to know him. There was definitely major chemistry between these two! The time travel itself had a pretty solid explanation, despite it being magical, which I enjoyed. Cat herself is a bit hard to understand. She accepted her situation pretty easily, and she also seemed to change fairly easily. I would have liked her transformation to be a bit more gradual, and for the eventual lessons she learned to be less didactic.

Overall I would recommend 'My Super Sweet Sixteenth Century'. It doesn’t stick out as a favourite, but it does stand out as fun. This is a great read when you’re looking for something lighter, and it’s also appropriate for younger YAs.

The Cover:
It's cute and memorable, taking the 'girl in a dress' trend and making it fun of it a bit, while still being appealing.

Rating:
[3.5/5]

Find My Super Sweet Sixteenth Century by Rachel Harris on Goodreads, Book Depository, & Amazon.

3 comments:

  1. This book does look really cute -- and I love the cover with the beautiful dress, but the backpack thrown in. Love it!

    Great review, Ashley!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY
    I think it sounds like a fun, light and fluffy book. Glad it was good over all even if it didn't sand out all that much! Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This does look like a cute read! And that cover is just great. lol Not entirely sure if it is for me but I have a feeling a lot of other will enjoy it. Great review!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment; I appreciate each one!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...